Controls and Automation Manager
We have an exciting opportunity to join one of Europe’s leading manufacturer’s based in Middleton, Manchester, UK. McBride is the leading supplier of Private Label Household and professional cleaning/hygiene products for Europe's largest and most successful retailers as well as producing own brand products.
The formula for our success is quite straightforward: we work by our Key Principles - Teamwork, Communication, Engagement and Leadership to create a positive environment for all McBride employees.
Manage all site controls and automation systems ensuring they are fit for purpose at all times. Champion reliability with targeted improvements for site controls and automation systems. Lead the development and implementation of the controls and automation scope for new projects and existing applications. Actively seek and implement improvement opportunities with technical solutions. Manage all 3rd party support contracts to ensure best value for money versus risk and reduce site reliance on 3rd party support. Build training plan and documentation to develop onsite Electrical Technicians.
Your responsibilities will be
- Ensure technical knowledge is kept up to date in the field of Controls and Automation
- Use the site data (Operations and Engineering) to drive improvements in H&S, Quality, Cost, Performance and Delivery. Use of systems such as Pirana, SAP and budgetary accounts.
- Ensure site risk is managed for all site control and automation systems. Ensuring each have a maintenance plan, Archived back-ups with implementation procedure, obsolesce review with short term and long term plans and training plan for onsite engineers with documented procedures.
- Appropriate level of 3rd party/OEM support
- Provide critical spares stock holding recommendations. Demonstrating consideration to equipment running requirements, lead times, critical spares and costs.
- Calibration certification
- Ensure all control and automation system are working to realise full levels of capability
- Actively seek cost saving opportunities on equipment, process and ways of working. Building up to full CAPEX project where required.
- Develop training plan for in-house engineers with clearly defined levels of capability
- Support CI and reliability improvements and in the event of any changes/ modifications, ensure they are captured in relevant systems documentation and change control process followed
- Ensure FDS and URS documentation is produced for each controls and automation elements of projects. With clear sign offs against from all 3rd party suppliers/OEMs
- Support site with technical expertise on fault finding and route cause investigation on Control and Automation systems.
Skills and Education we are looking for
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in a controls and automation role in an FMCG industry
- Minimum HNC Qualification in Electrical/Electronic Controls and Automation
- Demonstrable experience of obsolescence and business continuity plans for Controls and Automation systems.
- Good knowledge of MS Office and general PC skills with SAP knowledge.
- Experience and knowledge in:-
- Siemens S7 (Classic and TIA Portal) & HMI panels
- Mitsubishi PLCs (FX and A Series) & HMI panels
- Allen Bradley (SLC & Compact Logix)
- B&R Automation & HMI panels
- Allen Bradley HMI Panels
- Ifix Scada Package
- WinCC Scada Package
- Industrial Ethernet Based Communication
- RS232 & RS485 Serial Protocols
- CANBUS Serial Protocols
- Remote I/O
- Level, pressure, temperature, flow and analytical.
- P&ID Drawings
- 3 Phase 400v systems
- Motor Control (DOL, Star Delta, Inverters)
- Servo Motor Control (AC + DC Servos)
- Safety Circuits & Safety PLCs
- Reading Electrical Schematic Drawings
- HAZID & HAZOP Studies
- ATEX / DSEAR Risk Assessments
- Machinery Safety Risk Assessments
- Software Change Process control
- Engineering Report Writing and root cause analysis.
What will make you successful
- Able to handling complexity and a high pressure work environment.
- Able to work autonomously whilst able to prioritise long and short term objectives. Highly organised.
- Natural problem solver with a high level of autonomy to search out opportunities for improvement
- Logical thinker and able to process multiple bits of information quickly and at the same time
- Good Communicator. Both written and verbal. Able to produce technical and non-technical reports
- Customer Orientated to both Engineering and Non Engineering Functions
- Team player. Work with other function heads within the engineering team to provide support as and where required putting the good of the function before personal goals
- Able to influence and affect a culture within the team to provide a true service facility
- Ability to provide rational risk v benefit cases to enable informed decisions to be considered and get the correct outcome that avoid unnecessary costs and lost production
- Good Coaching skills to mentor junior team members/new starters and help develop more experienced personnel to ever improve the team skill level.
What can you expect
- To join a talented team where your contribution is recognised
- To work in a challenging, fast paced, international company
What’s on offer
- A competitive salary
- Continental shift pattern, 12 hours, 4 on 4 off, 2 days 2 nights
- Free parking
- Company pension, matched up to 8%
- On site canteen
- Work wear provided
Privacy Statement: We will use the personal information that you have submitted to us in order to consider your application for the relevant role. Your privacy is important to us. Please check our Job Applicant Privacy Notice on our career opportunities page http://www.mcbride.co.uk/job-applicant-privacy which explains the purposes for which we will use your personal information and the ways in which we will handle and retain your information. It also explains the rights you have in relation to your information, and how to contact us with any queries or requests.